Here are ten of the most compelling reasons why you should consider using social media tools to promote your business.
1. Be Forward-Thinking: Your target audience is becoming more sophisticated when it comes to using social media sites in their daily lives. If you want to appear relevant and in-step with the latest advances in technology, your potential customers will want to see you on these sites as well.
2. Brand Recognition: Social media allows your company to reach the greatest number of potential customers possible. Circulating your company’s name throughout the Internet is incredibly important – research has suggested that customers need to hear a company’s name at least seven times before they will gain the trust and respect needed to become a customer.
3. Brand Monitoring: Developing a social media presence allows you to better understand what your prospects and customers are saying about your company and its products and/or services. Through active social media monitoring, you have the opportunity to address negative comments quickly and correct false or inaccurate information about your brand.
4. Discover Customers Through Your Company Profile: Your company profile is not only a great opportunity for you to post regular updates on your activities, but also about important news and trends in your industry. These posts will catch the attention of new customers interested in your industry and increase your reputation as an expert in the field. Posting regularly is the key if you want to increase your followers or fans and convert them to potential leads.
5. Create Web Site Traffic: Consistent postings on sites such as Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, with posts back links to your site, help create additional traffic to your site. Social media bookmarking tools like Digg, Propeller and Stumbleupon can also help generate additional traffic to your site if you create and distribute frequent articles and blog posts.
6. SEO Links: Many social media bookmarking sites use the NOFOLLOW tag that limit the search engine spiders from finding their way back to your site. While there are still many leading social media sites that allow DOFOLLOW tags, including Digg, Furl, Mixx and FriendFeed, you can still see benefits from posting to social media bookmarking sites that use NOFOLLOW tags if people read your posts and link back to your Website.
7. Improved Search Engine Rankings: Due to constant “fresh content”, social media profiles frequently rank highly with major search engines. Using brand names and targeted keywords in your profiles can help you to generate traffic for your social media sites and company homepage.
8. Integrated Social Media Results in Search Engines: Search engines like Google, Yahoo, and Microsoft Bing are increasingly interested in indexing and ranking posts and other information from social media sites. Videos from sites like YouTube can also be optimized for indexing by the major search engines.
9. Niche Marketing: Social media allows you to reach very specific demographics and psychographics of niches and sub-niches based on their personal preferences and interests. Social media strategies can be created based on reaching individual interests to target these audiences.
10. Find New Customers Through Friends: Don’t forget your personal social media accounts as potential avenues to promote the activities of your business. Posting regular updates relating to your business and activities can remind your friends of what your company does and can create great referrals from their friends.